An Ode to Adi Shankaraacharya

Back in the 80's, my father had received a video cassette of "Adi Shankaraachaarya", a Sanskrit film by G.V.Iyer. We, as children must have watched this film more than twice. With excellent direction, photography and music, this movie is etched in my memory. The most poignant scene being when a young Shankaraachaarya returns from the gurukul to do the final rites of his dead mother. He laughs continuously to everybody's amazement. It's this incident that made him compose - 

Bhaj Govindam, Bhaj Govindam
Bhaj Govindam, Bhaj Moodh Matey
Punarapi Jananam, Punarapi Maranam
Punarapi Janani Jathre Shayanam

Chant Krishna's name, Chant Krishna's name
Chant Krishna's name, you dim wit
Born again, dead again,
Sleeping in the womb, yet again

When my father passed away, I kept humming this in my mind and it felt so comforting to know that my father would be born as another life - again.

Another aspect of the film that I can't forget is the verse that Adi Shankaraachaarya had composed. It keeps playing in the background of the film and encompasses everything that this great Saint lived for - Vishnu. It teaches us the Universal Truth that all prayers lead to one destination.

Aakaashaat Patitam Toyyam
Yathaagachchati Saagaram
Sarva Deva Namaskaaram
Keshavam Pratigachchati

Just as the pure rain water
Falls from the skies and invariably reaches the ocean in the end
So do all the prayers offered to any of the Gods
In the end, reach only Vishnu

It's only because of my parents and my grandfather that we have a sound understanding of Sanskrit. Not that we're fluent, but we can understand the thought behind the words.

For me, there is  no other language that sounds as rhythmic and as poetic as Sanskrit.

Thank you, Shri Shankaraachaarya. Your verses will ever live on.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Life...

Understanding God

Ooty - Beauty, Tea and Spooky!