Amitabh Bachchan Travels

Amitabh Bachchan. Need I say more? The name itself says everything about the man. More than a living legend, he is an iconic figure respected and known worldwide. Just read something about him recently and was reminded of one incident that took place a few years back.

My friends were waiting for me at the movie theatre that was 8km from where I lived which was close the where Amitabh Bachchan's bungalow is. It was late evening and there were no rickshaws available near my building. I walked down the road and still couldn't get one. I walked all the way till Amitabh's house and what luck - a rickshaw stopped right there and two boys and a girl got off staring at the superstar's house in front - jaw dropped and eyes full of awe while they paid off the rickshaw. "Dekho, yahin rehta hai Amitabh. Ek aur bungalow bhi hai aage lekin woh abhi yahin rehta hai," the rickshaw driver informed them. ("Look, this is where he lives. He's got one more house ahead but this is the one he lives in at present").

As soon as he said those words, I was quick to ask him if he could take me to the Movie theatre. He agreed and I got into his rickshaw. "Kya kya log aaten hain Mumbai mein! Sab log ko Amitabh se milna hai. Aise hi thodi na woh sab ko milega," the driver started a conversation with me. ("So many people from small towns come to Mumbai and they all want to meet Amitabh. How is that possible, tell me"). I joined in saying that he was a larger than life character for most of us and it was no surprise people were eager to just take a glimpse of him and if not him, then his house. He agreed and went on to continue with his talk. How a family made him wait for 20 minutes outside Amitabh's house, just to click lots of pictures to show their folks back home in their village and how he hated Sundays when Amitabh came out to greet his fans as it created a traffic jam.

My 30 minutes's journey was filled with listening to the driver's experiences connected to Bachchan and his home. At last the Movie theatre was in sight and the driver halted the rickshaw. As I removed my purse to pay him, two young girls came up to the rickshaw. "Kahaan jaana hai, madam?," the driver asked them . ("Where do you want to go, madam?"). "Juhu. Amitabh ke ghar ke paas," answered a girl. ("Juhu, near Amitabh's house.").

The driver looked at me and with a smile he said, "Dekha?!!" ("See?!!").

And Amitabh Bachchan lives on...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Life...

Understanding God

Ooty - Beauty, Tea and Spooky!